Emma Schmiedt’s Peanut Sticks Recipe (1937)
4 eggs , separated into whites and yolks
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp cold water
1 cup flour (sifted)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb. peanuts, finely chopped
1. Beat egg yolks, adding sugar, then cold water, sifted flour, baking powder, and vanilla. Add the cold water SLOWLY!
2. Fold in beaten egg whites.
3. Spray with Pam. Pour into pan, about 1 inch deep.
4. Bake 45 minutes in moderate oven, at 350 degrees.
5. Let cool for 3 minutes. Cut into 1 1/2 inch by 4 inch pieces.
6. Make Glaze: Mix the Glaze ingredients together. Spread onto squares.
7. Roll each piece in peanuts, covering completely. Serve! Makes 24 pieces.
Thank you Michael Popik for posting this recipe!
Post a Comment