One And Only Zeppole Recipe
· 1 cup flour
· 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1 cup ricotta
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 2 eggs, well beaten
· Powdered sugar, for garnish
· Vegetable oil for frying
1. Pour about 2 inches of oil into a 3-quart pot and heat over medium-high flame.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Add in eggs, vanilla and ricotta and stir to fully incorporate. The consistency will be like a thick batter.
4. When oil is hot (about 375 degrees), start frying in small batches of 3 or 4 at a time using about 1 tablespoon of batter for each zeppola. The batter will puff up when dropped in the hot oil.
5. Fry about 3 minutes or until deeply and evenly browned on all sides, flipping over about halfway through.
6. Transfer fried zeppole to paper towels to absorb excess oil and garnish liberally with powdered sugar.
7. Zeppole are best when warm,but can be served up to 2-3 hours after cooking.
Thank you Jill Paradiso of Food Republic!